Custom Search

Thursday, November 20, 2008

How to Feed Feral Cats on a Budget 2

Speaking of Aldi, check out their line of Sylvester cat food which is considerably cheaper than many other well known name brands you buy at the supermarket. The flavour I favour (a nice piece of alliteration there folks!) is the Sylvester Complete (400gm) Lamb and Kidney Meat Loaf which is very chunky and goes a long way. There's also Chicken and Turkey, and Beef and Chicken. In the seafood variety there is Seafood Platter, as well as Sardine with Smoked Salmon Jelly. The cats absolutely love the chunks of fish in the latter two. However, the cans don't go a long way in winter. The cats tend to eat more and get hungrier quicker, probably because I would estimate that half of the contents in the can are jelly. The meat loaf varieties appear to be much more filling and they mix well in the rice recipe I provided in my previous How to Feed Feral Cats on a Budget 1 blog post. I buy the Sylvester cans for around AU$0.79c in my local store. You can also buy them on the Aldi website. Most other well known brands can range from $0.80+ for 80gm of a 'gourmet' style food or around $1.22 to $1.36 for 400 or 410gm cat food. I know that Coles has a generic brand which sells for around 0.75c per 400gm, and Woolworth has one that is 0.74c per 400gm which is better value than the Aldi one, but I still have to test these. Reports coming soon.

No comments: