Custom Search

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Burrows vs Nests Part I















The other day in my Hide and Seek and Kittens post, I mentioned that Mimsy the feral cat had just given birth to some kittens. I described her birthing place as a burrow but have since discovered that die-hard cat people call them nests. Anyway, I took out my camera yesterday and took some snaps while the cats were eating and I thought you might want to see what the nests looked like. The kittens were deep inside and I didn't want to disturb them. The nests have an entrance and an exit, rather like rabbit warrens, for easy escapes. In this case, Mimsy has three nests right next door to each other. I'm surmising that she shifts the little ones around in case the other homes become uninhabitable or in case she wants to flummox my dog Belle who is fascinated by all cats (but who poses no threat to them) and who just wants to sit down outside and stare at the nests and cats in wonder. I deliberately put the iron grating up so that the cats can still have easy access but any large predator will have a hard time getting inside, although it won't keep any snakes out. Oh to be a naturalist and have access to those miniature cameras on cable to see what's happening inside the nests ... I see a nature documentary coming on (or at the very least a YouTube video)!

No comments: