Custom Search

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Adventures of Mimsy's Kittens – Journal Entry 1



Ssssh – don't tell anyone! I'd been watching Mimsy our second fertile feral (and very obviously pregnant) female for a few weeks now. Exactly, seven days ago when I came out to give the feral colony their breakfast I instantly noticed that her stomach had shrunk conspicuously. Within minutes my cross Border Collie Belle sat down on her haunches outside the far wall of the cattery. Belle looked exactly like an airport drug dog that had found a huge stash on a passenger. However, in this case it's not drugs or other contraband that she is trained to find – rather, she has the uncanny innate ability to detect newborn kittens. When I went inside the cattery to investigate, I found four little ones curled up in the straw in the far side corner corner exactly where Belle had sat down. Two white and gingers and two blacks. The pics you see were taking when they were about five days old. 

The entire process is about to start again and I'll be following their progress in a series of blog posts starting with this one over the upcoming months. Kind cat loving people living in the Sydney area – you're all on notice!

2 comments:

Cat Kouns Born said...

How precious!

You certainly have your hands full.

Feline lovers in the Sidney area should be grateful and thrilled that there is someone like you out there caring for these precious babies and readying them to share their lives with us silly humans!

Anyone who adopts one of your kits, can be confident that they are taking in a wonderful companion.

Julie said...

I have never had two litters cross over. My only real downfall is that I have not been able to catch the two mothers yet to have them desexed – they have been far too smart. I am about to start an active campaign again since I learned a lot about capturing cats after catching the Xmas kittens.
J