Custom Search

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Chronicles of the Xmas Kittens – Journal Entry 3

Giant break through two evenings ago – I was able to stroke two of the kittens while they were feeding (the white and rust one) as well as one of the black kittens. The third one (another blackie) started to take chicken out of my fingers. They are still pretty jumpy – I needed to approach them with legato rather than staccato movements (ie. be slow and fluid rather than jerky). This makes all the difference because one sharp accented move will get them darting into the drain. The fourth kitten (the tortie and white) will not emerge from the drain while I am sitting right next to it. In order for it to actually get some food in its belly, I need to drop pieces of boiled chicken or chunks of canned cat food through the grate. She (I am assuming she is a she because tortoise shells invariably are) scoops up the pieces from below. However, this morning she must have been on the outside when I approached because I saw her streaking across the way into an external protruding drainage pipe where she waited it out until I had left.

Tonight something happened. It was extremely hot and humid today – sweltering in fact. Did my usual rounds this evening and ended up near the drain. Left some food for mum, the three males who are courting her and the four kittens. Finished my chores and returned armed with my secret weapon – two additional cans of cat food.

I abandoned the plan to try to lure Sweetie away – the furthest she'll go is around the corner. However, the positive development that could work in my favour was that the kittens were getting a little bit more comfortable with me and a little more bolder and cocky. 

It happened quicker than I expected. While mum and the fellas were distracted, the white and rust kitten walked into the cat cage to the container of food placed inside. I waited a moment, let all the guilt quickly run through my mind and then I closed the door. The little one was startled into inaction. He/she backed into a corner and didn't meow for help. I just stood up, grabbed the cat cage in one hand and walked away without looking back. I knew the other three kittens have witnessed this event and I wondered if they would ever fall for the 'container in the cat cage' trick again (I'm sounding a bit like Maxwell Smart here).

I walked quietly to the gym which is about 200 metres away. I opened the door, put the cage on the floor and stood back. The little one didn't move for about two minutes, and then when I turned my back, it darted to the wall, looking about for a place to hide. I quickly left and returned to the drain – I was determined to catch at least one more because feral kittens invariably prosper better in twos.

At the drain, the mature cats were going about their business – they hadn't registered that one of the little ones had gone. Sweetie had to contend with her suitors and she was not in a pleasant mood and wanted nothing to do with them. I quickly settled down again and put more food in a trail leading up to the container in the cat cage. The little black one came out but the other two hung back. 

It ate the food on the trail and couldn't quite decide whether it was going into the cage. I made up its mind and swooped in quickly to push it inside. As I closed the door it clattered around on the interior causing Sweetie and the other cats to sit up to attention and crane their heads towards the sound. I threw them some more food to break their concentration and while they were eating I left.

At the gym, I set the cage down again. This time the little black one scooted out and headed straight for the fly screen door which looks onto the outside world. One of our other domestic cats was on the other side looking in with curiousity. The little black one started meowing and then she heard a corresponding call from her sibling. She instantly turned around and headed in the direction from where it came. The black kitten crawled over an obstacle and into the hidey space where the other was hiding. This is important because it will make them feel less alone in their ordeal and they will provide comfort for each other.

There is lots of water and food at the feeding station inside. The kitty litter tray is full. Tonight after they get over the initial trauma of being removed from their mother, they will explore the room.

Tomorrow I will return and starting crooning to them and cajoling to them to begin accepting me. Tomorrow I also have to return to the drain and start again.

It's cool right now. A breeze has sprung up. I've got two dogs at my feet in my studio as I am writing this and two cats in the studio bedroom. There are two frightened kittens in my home gym but everything is right with the world just at this moment – give it some time and they will be fine. 

Now all I need to do is catch their two siblings and then find them a loving home.

[NOTE: I have lots of pics but for some reason blogger is not allowing me to upload them. Be patient and you will soon get to meet these cat characters.]

No comments: