Custom Search

Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Art of the Slow Blink

In a previous post I mentioned the importance of avoiding staring into a feral cats' eyes as they will usually perceive this as threatening behaviour. I mastered a technique this morning, which seemed to have worked well with the little Xmas kitties I have just found on our property. 

I am just getting them used to me. I leave food for them in the morning and sit about ten feet away. I caught a shy one staring at me – checking me out to see if it was safe for him/her to come out of hiding and to eat. I wanted to keep looking at it but didn't want to go into a full stare so I responded in two ways:

(1) I gazed at it for about two to three seconds and then turned my head away for a few seconds then repeated the process.
(2) I mastered the art of the slow blink. I noticed the kitten would blink slowly approximately every five seconds, so I started mimicking his/her behaviour. I would let my eyelids close slowly as if I were in the act of falling asleep. Then I would slowly open them. The kitten continued to watch me and then fell into sync with me. Its body language changed so that it became sleepy and dreamy and relaxed. After a while it joined its more braver siblings at the food tray, rather than running away as it had previously done.

I'd be interested in how this works for y'all.

2 comments:

pc feral cats said...

Julie, thanks for your blog and helping to spread the word about the plight of these poor cats. Please check out my blog when you have a moment: pcferalcats.blogspot.com. We are attempting to implement a community wide T-N-R programme in a small city in Ontario, Canada.
Also, thanks for sharing the info on our Prime Minister - I was unaware of his position on the feral cat issue - that is good news! All the best and keep up the good work!

Julie said...

Thanks, PC ferat cats.

For some reason I didn't get a notification that you had left a comment. I only just discovered it while I was editing my posts. I will DEFINITELY check out your blog tonight. Also check out FaceBook – I found a Feral Cats group there and registered as a fan.

J