Custom Search

Monday, July 13, 2009

Feral Family Pics 3

Most of the photos I've posted about the feral cats living on our farm have been cute and somewhat benign. This one is different. I took this photo in February when it was hot and dry and it shows the hunter side of one of our feral cats – Bandit – poised over one of his kills (a rabbit). He looks fierce. When I came across him, it was too late to save the rabbit.

We can't dismiss cats' true nature. They have a hunting instinct. Just the other day I had about five hyped up excited cats running all over the verandah trying to get close to a finch that was perilously balancing on the brick wall. I quickly captured all the cats and put them back into the house in case the finch lost concentration and was snapped up. Luckily she flew into the gum tree and then away. 

Bandit is quite interesting. I've been taking care of the cats for about five years now, and he's tended to keep to himself – he would eat with the other feral cats on the hill but then go off and do his thing for the rest of the day. About two months ago he ventured down towards the major house and to the outside room which we use as the major feeding station. Nows he's planted himself in the vicinity and is integrating to some extent with all the domestic cats. He often lays on the steps to the rumpus room and is comfortable with me stepping over him to go up and down the stairs so I acknowledge his trust and am careful.

He has a hardened look in his eyes but is also exposing his softer side – he actually talks to me and allows me to stroke his back and tail, although he occasionally hisses if I get too presumptuous. 

Rural and outback Australia has lots of rabbits (they are introduced and not indigenous species). About 20 years ago we had several rabbit warrens on the farm including one on the hill where the cattery is now. When the feral cats moved in, the rabbits moved out and we rarely see them now. We also don't appear to have rats or mice so some people would argue that the cats (domestic and feral) are earning their keep. For the record, I try to save any animal that is hurt – rodent or other mammal, reptile, bird, or insect – but I have to admit that the farm is quite clean because of the cats. What I mean by that is that there are no plagues or infestations that could compromise the health of the farm stock or do any major damage. One could say ... if you look after feral cats, they will also look after you.

No comments: